[ic] Re: Need to speed up page loading

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:28:43 EDT 2007

> > Sorry for replying to myself.  Does anyone know which one of these is
> > generally faster than the other?
> >
> > 1.
> > [loop list="sku1 sku2 sku3 ..."]
> > [loop-data products title]
> > [/loop]
> >
> > 2. (with proper mysql indexes)
> > [loop search="search goes here"]
> > [loop-param title]
> > [/loop]
>
> I'm not sure... try [benchmark] and see :) My inclination is that IC
> will perform three queries for the first, and one for the second, but
> I'm not that intimate with the DB code.

I haven't set up benchmark yet, but it looks like they execute in
about the same amount of time, at least for the scale I'm working
with.

> > Is this the proper way to set up mysql indexes in products.mysql:
> >
> > Database products COLUMN_DEF "title=char(100), INDEX(title(100))"
>
> AFAIK it doesn't matter what you have in the IC sql definition - MySQL
> is going to use the index if it can, if you've created the right index.
> There's a lot to how indexes are used - if you are making a simple
> equality match on one field, then the difference of adding an index is
> pretty significant.

So the index has to be created outside of IC?  The above doesn't
create the index?  Is there anything I can add to products.mysql to
have the index created?

- Grant