[ic] Which Linux are you using?

Henrik Holmboe henrik at holmboe.se
Thu Jan 18 11:44:53 EST 2007

Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org> writes:

>Gentoo is also a good distro if you are willing to spend the time to set
>it up properly (it does take a while, especially the first time you do
>it.  I'd give yourself a good week or two to get it all set up properly
>the first time.  An occasional emerge world and it will never have to be
>re-installed or upgraded to a newer version, ever as Gentoo only has one
>version which is constantly kept up to date.

The last statement about never having to re-install is true when
"riding on updates" for the Debian testing release. I have kept
servers up for 4 years this way without much problems along the way.

Because of this I also feel more confident in an upgrade from Debian
3.0 to 3.1 (than for example RHEL) since there is small incremental
updates to each package that should take care of the upgrade
correctly.

Debian is my cup of tea! YMMV.

--
Henrik Holmboe, Stockholm, Sweden