[ic] more-list by criteria aka Group By

Paul Jordan jordan at gishnetwork.com
Sat Jul 21 10:57:02 EDT 2007

interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am wondering if it's possible to alter the more-list internals to
>> account for results based on criteria and yes - I know this sounds
>> like a house of cards.
>>
>> Basically, I am using [prefix onchange] to reduce the actual amount
>> of products displayed in the resultset, so the more-list might say
>> "results 1-7 of 52" but there may only be 3 items showing. I was
>> hoping it would not be too much a hit to have an addition where you
>> could set a more-lists pseudo "group by" setting ala:
>>
>> ml=12
>> more=1
>> more_unique=sku

[snip]

> With Interchange everything is possible :)  I've read the above a
> couple of times and I am perhaps missing enough context to be able to
> understand what it is you're looking for. So can't really be
> providing with any ideas or solutions for this one. Hopefully someone
> else has a better understanding of what you're after.

Sorry, my Japanese is a bit rusty 8-)

ml=12
more=1
more_filter=UNIQUE(sku)

This would tell the more list code to only consider unique sku's as "result
counts", but still passing all results (non unique too) to the
[list][/list]. I mentioned this would be a house of cards because one could
easily get unexpected results if the [list][/list] was not properly
conditioned.

Basically, on a LEFT JOIN style query one might only want to count (in the
more-list) unique hits from only one of the tables.

If anyone does not have any epiphanies I think I will end up going back to
the basic results list with all the purchase options on the flypage because
I think I am confused now too.

You know, I don't think this is going to work. My matchlimit might end in
the middle of a sku's "result set" and not show all the products for a
particular sku.

Damn. Back to the drawing board.

Paul