[ic] Backend usage

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Thu Jun 7 11:17:30 EDT 2007

interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use interchange's functionality as a "backend"
> product only?  All of my sites are all "full-flash" developed with
> 'flash remoting' used as a way to transfer data.  In other word's, i
> really don't need the 'html-side' of interchange.

Sure, but the worthwhile largely depends on what you want to accomplish. If
you are trying to accomplish a CMS backend to manage your flash movies,
there is probably something more suitable out there. If your flash movies
are producing transactions (selling products, surveys, user records) then
it certainly is possible.

Interchange is simply an application server, which means it can be whatever
you want it to be. If you are at the point where you are searching for a
solution, I'd log onto the interchange channel at irc.icdevgroup.org, or
hire a consultant for an hour and pose a bunch of questions regarding the
what you'd need to accomplish. You'd likely get some great free advice on
the irc channel.

Interchange has two faces - one is easy, one is more difficult. If you've
mastered Html & Css then you'd like take up ITL very quickly. If you've
mastered something like Javascript, then you'd likely have not trouble with
and portion, intermediate, or advanced, with Interchange. Mind you, you
don't use html, css or JS explicitly for IC, I am just using those to
intimate the level of programming familiarity you'd need to do things
yourself.

If I were you I'd log onto IRC when it is busy, and ask some questions.
Find out what it would take, and decide if you have the time to tackle it.
Otherwise, find out how much a consultant would cost to help you out, then
go from there.

It is going to come down to if you have the time to do it, or the money to
have it done. It does seem worthwhile since you referred to websites in
plural.

It definitely won't be "plug and play" of course.

Paul