[ic] interchange.pid

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Thu Nov 15 18:44:45 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 05:50:48PM -0500, brian pribis wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am sort of new to interchange (read up on it about five years ago,
> but never got the chance to implement it).
>
> Everything installs great on my laptop and our local server, but when
> I installed it on our host's server, which is a Sun, interchange seems
> to have a problem finding the interchange.pid file.
>
> As a result, when I try to shutdown interchange or restart it, it
> thinks the server isn't running because it can't find a pid for it.
>
> The file contains the correct pid and if I delete it, it gets written
> when I start interchange back up.  Group and user are both set to the
> group.user that interchange is running at and permission are set to
> 600 (which is what it is created as).
>
> I can't think what might be going on here; interchange can create the
> pid file, write the correct pid in it, but then can't read it on
> shutdown.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes,

1) did you use a custom path for the pid file? (using PIDfile directive)

2) you can attach strace to the running process. Like, if
   interchange is running as PID 1000, you can do:

   strace -f -s 2048 -o /tmp/trace -pPID

   and then invoke interchange --stop. When it finishes, in /tmp/trace
   you search for interchange.pid (or just \.pid) and look up the
   path where IC is expecting it. Then compare that to the location
   where your pid file actually is.

   Btw, strace is a linux command but I think there exists its port
   to solaris. If not, use solaris-native truss command. (See manpage
   for different cmdline args).

Cya,
-doc