[ic] Spammers circumventing form checks

boll boll at sonic.net
Wed Oct 10 01:52:22 EDT 2007

Hi Grant-
This trick ended spam from my html form:

1. Add an extra textarea field to your form.
2. Use css to make that box hidden to users. Only spambots will read the
source code and fill in that field.
3. Filter out email that contains that form field.

We do it in the nms formmail program.
There's a description of this method here:

http://blog.horizonweb.co.uk/2007/07/how-to-stop-spam-bots-with-formmail-and.html
There's a mistake in the perl code on that page, it shows "&gt" instead
of ">".

Hope this helps.
-John