[ic] Intermittent 500 on "Submit Order"

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Wed Sep 26 19:45:44 EDT 2007

On 09/26/2007 01:19 PM, Grant wrote:
> I'm seeing intermittent 500 errors when someone clicks the "Submit
> Order" button.  It seems to happen only when submitting an order.  It
> can happen regardless of the payment method, so it isn't a problem
> with GPG.  The backend processes of the order placement always seem to
> go through fine, but the customer is not seeing the order receipt
> page.
>
> I do have a weird order receipt page.  All of the database writing,
> etc. for an order is done on my order receipt page inside [tmp
> hide][/tmp].  I set that up years ago when I couldn't get order routes
> to work and I was desperate to get the store running.  Could that be
> causing this 500 problem?  I can't think of anything else that makes
> the order submission process unique except for this:
>
> [perl no_return="1"]
>         @{$Carts->{$CGI->{mv_cartname} || 'main'}} = ();
> [/perl]
>
> I get this in ssl_error_log:
>
> Connection reset by peer at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Interchange/Link.pm line 802.\n

This means (I think) that the connection was dropped on the client side,
I believe you would get this error if someone hit the "Stop" button in
their browser before the page loaded.  Check the following:

Is there a common browser being used, such as IE that always fails, or
does it happen to any browser?

Maybe it's taking a long time to process the checkout and the customer
hits the stop button in their browser before it gets a chance to time out?

Make sure this line is in your httpd.conf for the SSL virtualhost section:
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

Peter