[ic] We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable

Michael J. Curtis michael.curtis at glcweb.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 09:50:11 UTC 2008

[ic] 5.6
Ubuntu 8.4 Server
Perl 5.88 (Threaded, had problems trying to compile a non-threaded instance on Ubuntu, no problems using threaded Perl on Fedora)

Hi all

I have for some time now been able to install and use Interchange on Fedora but now want to install on a much leaner/meaner OS configured as a LAMP server as a VM, so no X, Windows Manager etc

I do realize that Ubuntu Apache configuration is different in some respect to Apache on Fedora, that is, no httpd.conf for makecat to parse and this may be the cause of my problem

The index page in html space shows but when clicking on the catalog link on the page, eventually the above error shows

All permissions look good
When creating the catalog then UNIX sockets are used
cgi-dir = /usr/apache2/cgi-bin and using the default instance of 'available-servers'
When starting Interchange the database is created and Interchange process runs according to ps -ax

It looks as though the link program does not know that Interchange exists?

One thing that I have noticed is that the link program in my Fedora cgi-bin dir is approx 7K but the link program in my Ubuntu /usr/apache2/cgi-bin dir is a bit over 11K?.  I do not understand the reason for the difference

Your help would be appreciated and yes I have read the part of the manual re the link programs

Regards

Mike Curtis