[ic] database

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Wed Dec 3 23:57:06 UTC 2008

On 12/03/2008 03:20 PM, Darnell Hudson wrote:
> I have a client that was using a old postgresql 7.4 which uses a old
> encoding. I upgrade to
> postgresql 8.2. but when I restore the data the database still uses the
> old encoding. so what I need to do is  rebuild the database so I can use
> the right  encoding. So is there a way to rebuild the database structure
> for IC. So what I need to do is delete the old database and create the
> new database and reload IC database structure with out having to build a
> whole new store.

I assume you mean that you want your database to be under UTF8 encoding
instead of LATIN1.  As a quick note before I answer the question both IC
and the new version of postgresql will be fine with the old latin1
encoding, the only time you will have problems is if you want to use a
character that is not supported in latin1.

That said, the standard way that I usually convert the DB to UTF8 when
upgrading is to dump the old database to a text file, then go through
and search and replace to change all the encodings from latin1 to utf8.
 Then you can import and it should be fine.

Peter