[ic] New to Interchange, trying to upgrade from a VERY old version

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Jan 1 09:35:51 EST 2008

On 01/01/2008 12:10 AM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Scott Courtney wrote:
>
>> We have a new server running RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.0. I need to
>> get Interchange off of the old server and onto the new server quickly
>
> Hi, Scott.
>
> A few high-level recommendations:
>
> * Don't change anything you don't absolutely have to during this
> migration, till you have things working on the new server. Simple is
> better when you're new to the software in question. I wouldn't mess with
> your Apache config, or try moving from GDBM to MySQL, yet.
>
> * When migrating an Interchange catalog, migrate the whole thing. Don't
> try to take a brand new makecat'd catalog and manually apply various
> settings and copy over various file. Take the whole catalog directory.
>
> * Contrary to that advice, the global interchange.cfg is small and
> simple enough that you are better off using the newer version and
> manually adding any custom changes from the old one.
>
> * If you're missing Perl modules, start by installing
> Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink from CPAN. And DBD::mysql, since you're
> planning on using that.
>
> * See the UPGRADE document in the Interchange distribution for notes on
> upgrading.
>
> * Ask here on the mailing list about whatever problem you're currently
> facing after you've done whatever you can. You'll usually get better
> help when asking about one specific problem, rather than the whole deal
> which is a lot for anyone to bite off without access to your servers.

A couple more tips...

Compile an unthreaded perl from source.  This is especially true for
RHEL4 as it comes with a threaded perl that is only version 5.8.5.

Watch out for customizations that may have been made to IC core files,
while it is not strictly necessary to modify the core in most cases,
people have been known to anyways and it causes problems further down
the road for migration.  You may also have global usertags, widgets, etc
that need to be migrated.

I've done installs on Centos 4 which for all intensive purposes is
identical to RHEL4, so if you want further help feel free to find me on
irc.icdevgroup.org #interchange.  I can probably give you a few more
tips for specific problems as you run across them.

Peter