[ic] Cannot start interchange

Davor Ocelic docelic at spinlocksolutions.com
Tue Jul 1 22:22:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:39:07 -0400
Mike Puntolillo <mike at 99perfume.com> wrote:

> I am a new Interchange user and have been having an awful lot of
> trouble setting it up. I complied from source, ran makecat, and when
> I run ./interchange I get no errors.

Do you see a line that says something like:

   Configuring catalog standard........ done.

If not, you (or makecat) did not successfully register the new catalog
with Interchange.

Also, at the end of the output, do you see a line like:

   Interchange server started in UNIX mode(s) (process id 19373)

If not, the server did not start up correctly.

Supposing you've got the above handled alright, take a look at the
permissions of file "etc/socket" in the Interchange installation
dir (/usr/local/interchange/ or something).

If the permissions are rw-rw---- or rw-------, try setting them
just temporarily to 666:

  chmod 666 /path/to/etc/socket

If this gets your catalog to load properly in firefox, then you
can make this change permanent until you find a solution by
putting the following in interchange.cfg:

  SocketPerms 0666

Also, while you're doing all this, have another terminal open,
and in it run:

  tail -f /path/to/interchange/error.log /path/to/catalog/error.log

That way you'll see eventual errors in more detail.

-doc