[ic] Trying to upgrade to 5.6.0 but in a mess

Rene Hertell interchange at hertell.com
Mon May 26 00:33:04 UTC 2008

Andrew Rich wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Was: IC 5.4.2 Perl 5.6.1 MySql 3.23.58
>
> I downloaded IC 5.6.0 and attempted to install.  This failed due to
> Perl version was 5.6.1. Downloaded and attempted install of Perl

<snip>

> I have since returned to try and complete KitchenSink install and
> have errors.  I have included the following to see If someone can
> point me back in the right direction.
>
> [root at server build]# perl -MCPAN -e 'install

<Snip>

Hi Andrew,

I guess that your cpan-installs where made with your original perl, and
not with he new-one..

What did was that I installed my custom perl into a completely own
directory:

sh Configure -Dprefix=/opt/perl -de

If you want multiple perl-versions, then just set the prefix to for
example /opt/perl-5.10.0 for this version, and if you one day install a
new one, then just change the prefix again (for me this is the best way
to keep one perl with all its stuff completely in one location.

Then when installing cpan modules be sure to use the freshly installed
perl-version by calling it with

/opt/perl/bin/perl  (or even /opt/perl/bin/perl5.10.0)

Now when you install IC, be sure that you also call Makefile.PL with
your new perl

/opt/perl/bin/perl Makefile.PL

You should also doublecheck the shebangs in the interchange files after
the install that IC runs with the custom perl.. do a

grep -r "\!/usr/bin/perl" *

in the directory where you installed IC, and replace the wrong shebangs
with the correct one..

You could also add your new perl to your PATH to make things easier...

Hope this helped :-)

René

-=-=-
... Looking for a helping hand? There's one on your arm.