[ic] Sending mail from perl block and Net::SMTP

Jonathan Clark jonathan.clark at setfiremedia.com
Wed Sep 17 12:01:45 UTC 2008

>> When using Net::SMTP as the SendmailProgram it is not possible to
>> reliably send email from a Perl code block using the email tag.
>>
>> Errors showing up frequently in error.log:
>>
>> ...Safe: 'require' trapped by operation mask  at ... Select.pm line 9.
>> Compilation failed in require at ...IO/socket.pm line 116.
>>
>> We'd rather not fiddle with SafeUntrap(ping) the require.
>>
>> Would there be any good solution to make it possible to use Net::SMTP
>> and be able to send email from a Perl code block?
>> Anyone of you encountered this problem?
>
> Never tried that, what benefit do you see in using Net::SMTP?

We tend to use Net::SMTP because it seems to be more reliable in
sending emails. System calls fail from time to time with IC (at least
on Linux).

>> Anyone keeping in touch with their customers by sending personalized
>> newsletters (plain text and html) etc?
>> If so, what would be the maximum  number of customers that could be
>> contacted? I am asking because we tried
>> sending a personalized email/newsletter to our customer base (Sendmail
>> as the SendmailProgram) and the
>> system stopped after 1000+ emails. We need to get in touch with tens
>> of thousands of clients.
>> Just to be absolute clear: NO this is not spam!
>
> I definitely recommend to use separate software/system for sending these
> amounts of emails.

Agreed. We regularly send lists of 50-100k but have used third party
software for years now. We used to use OemPro (db integration), but
have switched to Inspire Email Marketer (better support).

Previouslt, when we used to send from IC, we had IC create a batch
file which cron picked up and ran. I think the problem with sending
in-page would be that it would take a long time for a big list and is
likely to be killed off before completing.

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Clark, Managing Director
Setfire Media, Cartridge SAVE, Axiar Payment Solutions
0844 576 5515 / jonathan.clark at setfiremedia.com