[ic] Change the default cart name

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Sun Apr 19 13:54:39 UTC 2009

Hariharan Gopalan wrote:
> Hello Group
>
> How can I change the default cart name "main" to something based on
> the category of the item being placed in the cart.  From the
> documentation this should be possible with the mv_cartname form
> variable. Subsequently, would like to display all the carts during
> checkout.

Supplying the mv_cartname variable when the item is submitted for
addition to the cart ought to do what you want.  However, I doubt you'll
be very happy with the result.

Looping through the list of known carts is likely to be a pain without
dropping into a little bit of perl.  And of course checkout in the
standard catalog is oriented around a single cart; people would need to
check out on a per-cart basis, so the usability of the resulting
application could suffer (though perhaps it's your intention to force
separate checkout processes per category).

You might be better off configuring your catalog to allow a custom field
in the cart to identify product categorization within the cart, and
operate against a single cart.

Hope this helps.
- Ethan

--