[ic] Refunds via [charge]

Chris Kershaw chris at endpoint.com
Mon Aug 3 19:19:35 UTC 2009

Grant wrote:
> Can the [charge] tag be used to refund a card?  I'm not sure how this
> could be done since the mv_credit_card_* stuff is not known at that
> point.  Can the original transaction ID be set to a variable that
> [charge] will use to apply the credit?
>
> - Grant

Hi Grant,

I recently implemented this for a client who uses Authorize.net. This
payment gateway requires you have:

* The transaction is submitted with the valid transaction ID
(x_trans_id) of an original, successfully settled transaction.
* The amount being requested for refund is less than or equal to the
original settled amount.
* The sum amount of multiple Credit transactions submitted against the
original transaction is less than or equal to the original settled amount.
* At least the last four digits of the credit card number (x_card_num)
used for the original, successfully settled transaction are submitted.
An expiration date is not required.
* The transaction is submitted within 120 days of the settlement date of
the original transaction.

Here's a code snippet
[charge
   route='authnet'
   orderid='transactionid_issued_at_sale'
   amount=$refund_as_postive_number
   auth_code='authcode_issued_at_sale',
   transaction='CREDIT',
   log_to_error=1
 ]

In the case of Authorize.net you need to pass a transaction type of
CREDIT to the charge tag. I had to start saving the last 4 digits of the
credit card number and the expiration date to the transactions table to
allow the refund. I had to also create a screen which would allow my
client to process the refund adn include any necessary credit card info

I am working on implementing on a solution that can be committed to the
core.

Thanks,
Chris

--