[ic] flypage specialsub patch

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Mon Aug 31 01:05:59 UTC 2009

On 08/30/2009 12:49 PM, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Mike Heins (mike at perusion.com):
>> Quoting Peter (peter at pajamian.dhs.org):
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Before I commit this patch can anyone who uses the flypage SpecialSub
>>> test it to see if it breaks anything?  It works fine for me.
>>>
>>> <http://github.com/pajamian/interchange/commit/00a20b210ed8ae9f56f579da8b426508f224246e>
>>>
>> What is it supposed to do?
>
> This comes from my preference that you don't talk about a link in
> message as if someone has read the link. You can ignore this, as
> I have now read it. I still don't like it.

Fair enough.  I'll explain for the benefit of others and to give you
some more background.

I want to use the flypage specialsub to strip out SEO strings in the URL
when checking for the existence of a SKU, for example, a sku of
123456/foo-bar-baz would get stripped to 123456 with a simple regexp as
the foo-bar-baz is just there for SEOs to key on and to make the URLs
more readable.  The problem I was having is that if the resulting sku
doesn't exist the flypage specialsub still pretends like it's a valid
sku and goes on to display what is in essence a flypage with no data.
In fact there is currently no way to tell IC to go on with normal page
processing if you're using the flypage specialsub, so IC will no longer
process directory indexes, will not run the missing specialsub and will
not display the missing special page at all if the flypage specialsub is
defined.

I made the fix linked to above and it works well for me, but before I
commit it I wanted to check to see if it breaks anyone else's code who
might be using flypage for a different purpose than I am.  I don't think
it will, but I'm just not sure, so I'm asking.

Peter