[ic] Decision tree for using Embedded PERL versus ITL

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Jul 8 16:55:33 UTC 2009

Quoting Marty Tennison (marty at dripdepot.com):
> OK all you interchange gurus out there, riddle me this...
>
> What criteria do you use to determine whether or not to use embedded
> PERL or ITL?
>
> As an extreme example: If an interchange Guru (pick one from the list)
> was to create their "Perfect" catalog that only they would maintain and
> hack on, would they use embedded PERL only?  ITL only? or a mixture of
> both.  And why? Just curious. :)

There is a third choice, which is [mvasp]. 8-) And a fourth, which is
ITL with custom UserTag setups.

My choice is obvious -- mixture of all. ITL is easy to read and deal
with for very simple things.  Its biggest problem is a lack of syntax
checking, which we should probably deal with.

Embedded Perl is more useful for doing complex things.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.328.4479  <mike at perusion.com>

Software axiom: Lack of speed kills.