[ic] ic-utf8 readfile/writefile patch

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Mon Mar 16 04:03:42 UTC 2009

Folks,

I've added a patch to the ic-utf8 tree to support encoding/fallback
strategy in Vend::File::readfile and writefile.  This is intended to
be completely backwards-compatible with both legacy encodings and the
current MV_UTF8 scheme while offering the following benefits:

  - Explicit override of the encoding of any specific file.  This
defaults to nothing (aka raw) when MV_UTF8 is not set, and utf-8 when
MV_UTF8 is set.
  - Sensible default fallback to provide maximum information in the
case that invalid encoding/decoding sequences are encountered.
(Fallback strategy is how we deal with invalid/incomplete characters.)
  - Think future modifications to [include] to provide access to
encoding and fallback parameters:  [include file="foo/bar/baz"
encoding="cp1252"]

I'd appreciate testing of this patch; in particular, this should help
with Racke's issue encountered with legacy encodings on the index page
with MV_UTF8 set.

Regards,

David
--