[ic] ic-utf8 readfile/writefile patch

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Sat Mar 21 12:33:35 UTC 2009

David Christensen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've added a patch to the ic-utf8 tree to support encoding/fallback
> strategy in Vend::File::readfile and writefile.  This is intended to
> be completely backwards-compatible with both legacy encodings and the
> current MV_UTF8 scheme while offering the following benefits:
>
>   - Explicit override of the encoding of any specific file.  This
> defaults to nothing (aka raw) when MV_UTF8 is not set, and utf-8 when
> MV_UTF8 is set.
>   - Sensible default fallback to provide maximum information in the
> case that invalid encoding/decoding sequences are encountered.
> (Fallback strategy is how we deal with invalid/incomplete characters.)
>   - Think future modifications to [include] to provide access to
> encoding and fallback parameters:  [include file="foo/bar/baz"
> encoding="cp1252"]
>
> I'd appreciate testing of this patch; in particular, this should help
> with Racke's issue encountered with legacy encodings on the index page
> with MV_UTF8 set.

Yes, it doesn't crash anymore :-).

One problem that might be related to this issue is the delivery of "binary"
content stored in a UTF8 database.

Currently the files produced are corrupted, and the data in the db is
definitely correct. And it works with UTF8 inactive (as per bug #259).

The code is as follows:

my $data = $Db{transaction_documents}->field($td_code, 'content');
$data = $Tag->filter({op => 'decode_base64', body => $data});
$Tag->deliver({type => 'application/pdf', 						body => $data});

Decode_base64 is a simple filter (content is stored base64 encoded):

CodeDef decode_base64 Filter
CodeDef decode_base64 Routine <<EOR

use MIME::Base64;
sub {
	return MIME::Base64::decode_base64(shift);
}
EOR

Regards
         Racke