[ic] Another Google Checkout module...

Mark Lipscombe markl at gasupnow.com
Sat May 16 05:11:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

In the same spirit of things that should have been done a year ago, I
had also been working on a Google Checkout module for IC, and the
project fell by the wayside.  I was in the process of tidying it up for
release when Lyn posted.

I've put the module, along with a couple of supporting bits and pieces, at:

http://www.telephonyware.com/ic/

Full document

This module takes a quite different approach to Lyn's module.  In doing
so, it probably adheres a bit more to Google's (rather strict)
requirements about checkout flow.  The main differences:

* An order isn't generated in IC until Google actually confirms the
order.  It does this by sending Base64 encoded items array from the
shopping cart as private data to Google, which Google sends back,
allowing us to recreate the shopping cart from scratch.  This saves from
polluting the transactions table with orders that will never go ahead.

* All the settings available from Google for address and shipping method
selection are honored.  The customer can change their shipping address
in Google, and Google will automatically retrieve updated shipping
options, prices and sales tax info from IC.

* An order route is never run until you actually get an order, it means
that there is no "almost finished" orders in the database.

* You can put a button on your basket page, and the top of your checkout
page, and your customer never has to use your own checkout pages (I
think this is probably the main difference, Google seems to require that
you offer their checkout in this manner).

This module uses Google's Google::Checkout Perl module, which is a bit
of a dinosaur, as Lyn suggested.  It hasn't been updated in a while, and
there are a couple of bugs, for which there is a patch on my site.  In
the not too distant future, this module should be updated to either use
XML::Simple, or someone should take on maintaining Google::Checkout.

The documentation for the module is inside the .pm file, and is probably
quite rough around the edges.  We run a quite heavily modified IC that
stores payments in an individual table, so I had to write a lot of the
documentation from recollection about the layout of the standard store.

Anyway, sorry for the duplication of effort, and I hope that we can
build a really polished Google Checkout module from the two
contributions.  If anyone has any suggestions or problems, I'll do what
I can to help.

Regards,
Mark