[ic] New guide for setting up a Centos / RHEL 5 server and installing Interchange

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Wed Feb 24 20:15:39 UTC 2010

On 25/02/10 04:27, Steve Graham wrote:
> I just set up a  cloud server per your guide (actually did it twice for
> practice) - what a great way to test various interchange settings on the
> different platforms!
>
> Used CentOS 5.4
>
> observations:
>
> I had to compile in make, since perl complained when it wasn't available
> (#which make), suggested change to this line:
>
> sudo yum -y install gcc gdbm-devel openssl-devel tk-devel gd-devel
> expat-devel make

Yeah, it seems like Rackspace leaves out different packages each time
they create a new image for a new Centos version.  I'll add make to the
list of ones that need to be installed, like you suggest.

> ===================
>    *
>                + Uncomment line 265 and change to your own domain name
>
> ServerName hostname at my.domain.com:80
>
> --- should be www.mysite.com:80

Ok, thanks for the correction.

> ===================
>
> I installed Mysql instead of Pg

It's currently beyond the scope of the article to include instructions
for more than one db, but when I wikify it I will be able to put
directions for each db on a different page.

> =================
> Install Mysql Database
>
> $sudo yum -y install mysql mysql-server mysql-devel

One thing that I would look into would be to get the latest version of
MySQL instead of the one that comes with CentOS.  PostgreSQL makes this
easy because they provide their own yum repositories, but I don't know
for sure if MySQL does.

> don't forget to secure your mysql at some point
> $sudo /usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation

This is interesting, I wasn't aware that MySQL had a command like this.

> I had to manually create the test database table in Mysql
>> create database test_mysite

Yeah, makecat doesn't seem to work for that for PostgreSQL either.  I
wasn't sure if it worked for MySQL or not.  I've never bothered to look
into it too much because it's easy to just create the DB manually.

> Then interchange started without an error, and created the tables...

Cool, glad it worked for you.

Peter