[ic] MySQL + UTF8, my.cnf settings

Gert van der Spoel gert at 3edge.com
Sat Jan 2 20:58:36 UTC 2010

Interchange 5.7.4
Mysql 5.0.15  - Debian standard distri install
Perl 5.10.0   - Debian threaded standard distri install

Standard mysql install for Debian comes with latin1 as default character
set.
My site needs UTF8 so had to make changes to my.cnf in order to have things
work.
After some fiddling it now looks to be working, with the following settings:

[mysqld]
default-character-set=utf8
default-collation=utf8_general_ci
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_general_ci
init-connect='SET NAMES utf8'

[client]
default-character-set=utf8

And credit where credit is due, I found this combination here:
http://notes.timeghost.net/2008/10/utf-8-and-mycnf.html

Next up: performance tuning .. seems like the above configuration is seeming
to be painfully slow.
But who knows I might find the right configuration for this as well :)

CU,

Gert