[ic] Email Question

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Thu Jan 7 20:43:57 UTC 2010

Rick Bragg wrote:
> I need to integrate a mailing-list type of function into Interchange.  I
> would rather not tie it in with mailman.  The lists could get quite
> large, and I was wondering about the best way to go about it?
>
> My thought is when a user creates a "message" it would get stored in a
> database, and a cron job (witch would in turn run an IC job) maybe
> running every minute or so would look for these new messages and deliver
> it to a list via the [email] tag.  Is this a good way?  How do customer
> email messages in the admin area get sent?

In my opinion if you want to do serious mailings, use a mailing list
manager. Their authors fought all problems and traps you will eventually
run in.

I would recommend to use Sympa, because it:

* allows subscriber lists based on custom SQL (e.g. selection from userdb)
* provides SOAP interface
* has some forum type functions
* written in Perl :-)

And in the next release 6.1 it will even support personalized list
emails.

You can use Interchange to pass the messages by SOAP or simple email
to the mailing list manager.

Regards
	Racke

Interchange Development Team