[ic] Truck Shipping

Kerry Blalock kerry at basicq.com
Sun Jun 6 08:35:19 UTC 2010

On 05/28/2010 09:58 AM, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Kerry Blalock (kerry at basicq.com):
>
>> I am using the standard store on version 5.6. I am trying to add a
>> shipping method for items over the UPS size limit of 108 inches in
>> length. If I add a size field in the product table and populate with the
>> width of these items, is it possible to use the admin shipping without
>> getting into much programming? Can size be added to the "calculate based
>> on this criteria" dropdown? (and in the Calculate based on this algorithm)
>> If over size=108, charge $65 is basically what I am needing. Also need
>> it to use this method only if the size is greater than 108".
>>
>> My standard shipping is setup to charge a flat rate for orders under
>> $100, and free for orders over $100.
>> Somehow, I need an "except when over 108".
>>
> The typical way is to write a UserTag that scans the cart and determines
> the weight of the items and returns it. If the 108" condition comes up,
> you can return zero and handle the exception by 1) going to another
> mode with >> ala the upsg_or_free mode in the demo, or 2) telling the
> customer that shipping will be manually set up via email or phone when
> the cost is zero.

I set up a field in products.txt named width. I have populated some of
the oversize items with actual package widths. I have tried to figure
out how to write the code to scan the cart, check the width field in the
product table for each sku in the cart, select my truck ship method if
the width is over 108", default to free_or_upsg if under 108".
As I stated, I am not a programmer, so trying to figure this out is a
bit challanging. Is there some easy to understand documents on setting
up the shipping.asc? I understand that using the admin to set it up can
break things, which I have confirmed.

(not sure if my messages are getting through as I attempted to reply on
this earlier.)

--
BasicQ Curtain Rods
http://decor.basicq.com