[ic] Barcode Scanner & Software interact with IC?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Aug 4 22:00:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Paul Jordan wrote:

> I'm wondering if anybody is/has used a barcode scanner in an office that
> plugged/collaborated with a Windows PC running (presumably) it's barcode
> software, that could be programmed to connect to a remote interchange
> server for things like updating inventory.

I've used Symbol handheld barcode scanners with a couple of clients.
Their recent scanners are USB devices that act like keyboards, so they
just type the barcode number really fast, and thus don't require any
special programming -- just a web browser with focus on the correct field
when you scan the barcode. That's nice because it works on any OS, in any
browser, and doesn't need any special development.

I have had to change the scanner programming a little to stop it from
sending special control characters at the beginning and/or end of the
barcode number, but that's easy to do and explained in the manual.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation