[ic] Reason for Upgrading to 5.6 or 5.5

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Jan 28 03:10:57 UTC 2011

On 28/01/11 10:00, Nikola Lazic wrote:
>>> I just got around to upgrading my development machine from 5.4.0 to 5.4.5
>>> and had no issues. I had to "merge metadata" in the Admin, so I merged
> all
>>> and I can't find any issues.
>
>> Bad move.  You'll find that you've lost your customizations to the Admin
> UI.
>
> Thanks for letting me know, Peter!
>
> OK, so what should I have done instead? Postpone all? Is that what is
> recommended when upgrading?

I review each one, and usually end up keeping the old version for most
(since that has my customizations), but I look for changes made in the
new version of IC to see if there's anything I'm interested in.  Being
as I'm the one that has made all those changes to begin with it's fairly
easy for me.

> Does the process of merging metadata in Interchange do anything else than
> reconcile Admin interface customizations?

Nope, not that I'm aware of.

If you find you've really mucked things up you can always restore a
backup copy of the mv_metadata.asc file to the products directory (or
even the db version of that file).

Peter