[ic] Interchange 6: Status report and roadmap

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Sep 27 11:44:26 UTC 2011

On 28/09/11 00:21, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 03:05 PM, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
> I would like to add Category & Navigation structure, which will roughly
> based on the tables we are using for WellWell:
>
> http://git.icdevgroup.org/?p=wellwell.git;a=tree;f=database/pgsql
>
> categories
> product_categories
> menus
>
> Maybe we should merge categories and menus, what do you think?

Yes, they look to be nearly identical.  I assume that
categories.priority == menus.weight?  I think in that case it should
just be called priority as weight is ambiguous (there is also product
weight in lbs or kilos).

On a different note, I think it's a bit of a wasted effort and
duplication of resources to define separate schemas for postgresql and
mysql, and this approach leaves out other dbs such as oracle and sqlite.
 What do you think about using a module such as SQL::Translator so that
we only need to supply one generic schema that can be translated for
various different dbs?

Peter