[ic] IC 6 - question and suggestion

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Sep 27 18:58:02 UTC 2011

On 28/09/11 04:12, Paul Jordan wrote:

> Question:
> Is IC being forked into this new "ants" version, or is the "rhino"
> version going to die off?

This has been discussed at length before, but IC 5.8 will be the last
major version of IC based on the old codebase.  IC6 will be completely
new and not backwards compatible at all.

> If so, I take it existing catalogs will need a
> complete rewrite to move beyond 5.9? Yikes.

That's not the way to look at it.  You will be able to use 5.8 for the
forseeable future, it will not be abandoned, there are too many of us
who have established sites on it.  I think that eventually there is
likely to be a backwards-compatibility set of plugins for IC6 and once
those are stable and an easy migration path to 6 is created with them
(that doesn't require rewriting all your catalogs) then and only then
will 5.8 no longer be supported.

Peter