[ic] "Interchange 6"? Really?

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Tue Sep 27 23:42:47 UTC 2011

>>Am I the only one that finds a bit...I don't know...misleading?
>

> * the knowhow
> * the community
> * ideas
> * concepts
>
> The fact is, IC hasn't had "idea" changes for a while. And while racke's
> approach is a bit "revolutionary" it takes all the knowledge from IC5
> and moves it toward a modern perl infrastructure for e-commerce.

I think David feels like your throwing away *his* knowhow, and the time and
money he has put towards ideas and concepts in the tech he built around IC.

I understand how he feels. However, If Perusion, Peter, or End Point aren't
freaking out about it, then I would rely on what Peter said, and that there
will be a path of some sort for all of us.

I'm sure there were a couple IRC meetings, and everyone decided this was
best. I think David (and I) were just taken aback by the way that Racke
phrased it - as I was too a bit freaked out because I am in the midst of
several large projects with the type of clients that are with you for life.
The thought that I pour tons of time and money into their projects and have
custom code built right now and for the next 2 years only to know I am going
to have to learn something new and rewrite everything - free of charge - is
a bit hard to swallow.

I'm not against rewriting large applications if there are benefits (like
UTF8 everywhere), but I am put off that there is currently an unknown
(unstated) upgrade path. Is my all the tech I currently have going to cost
me $40k to rewrite out of my own pocket? From today till the the day IC 6 is
actually ready to handle my apps, will the tons of time and 20k more I put
into 5.x just have gone down the drain? Am I basically working for free
right now?

I trust Mike, Racke, John, and Peter so I feel okay with leaving it at that.
However I can see that the community would want more than the roadmap. Maybe
someone can describe what it will be like when ready. What will the code I
use in the page be like to achieve [query], [if], [scratch], or what kind of
rework will all my usertags will need?

There are tons of people putting in a lot of time and money into their tech
and there is a hole - not what is going to happen with IC, what is going to
happen with their tech? Did we make a mistake forging new multi-year
projects on IC?

Anyways, like I said, I trust the guys, but it would be nice to know how it
will work (for us) for our own decisions we've been making thinking IC will
be there for us.

Paul