[ic] "Interchange 6"? Really?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Sep 29 00:02:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Grant wrote:

> 2. rewrite in another framework such as Magento or Spree

Those are both options, and have been for a few years. I presume Perl and
the CPAN ecosystem are a big reason why many Interchange users would be
interested in Interchange 6.

A few notes on the two:

Magento: Many features, big community, reportedly hard to customize, and
hardware hungry and bog-slow without serious optimization efforts. And
either you like/tolerate PHP or you don't.

Spree: Built on Rails, so all of Rails' benefits (and drawbacks of
frequent churn and broken compatibility); modular; more resource hungry
than Interchange, but less than Magento; good but lots of churn between
versions.

> I just hope people continue to write and maintain Perl API's for their
> software.

I think Braintree is the only service I've seen that didn't have a Perl
module, and they've since remedied that. I too hope that people continue
to support Perl. That's partly up to us -- we have to let people know
we're using it and need it to be supported.

> Perl 5.14 doesn't work well with IC?  Should the two be considered
> incompatible for now?

The problems with Safe and Encode have gotten worse in 5.14, affecting
even setups not using UTF-8.

> Has IC ever been considered for Google's Summer of Code?

No, but good that you mention it because it would be neat and Interchange
6 would be a really good project for a student to work on.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation