[ic] PerlAlwaysGlobal and PerlNoStrict

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Sep 5 18:16:19 UTC 2012

Quoting David Christensen (david at endpoint.com):

> >> If you limit your use to modules which don't do runtime requires you can certainly avoid it.
> >
> > With Perl 5.14 and newer, I'm finding that Stefan is correct, because the core Encoding module does runtime requires all the time, and possibly some other core modules. Safe has become nearly unusable for us with newer Perl versions.
>
> Is the benefit with Safe the separate namespaces or the actual
> restrictive environments? I'd expect we could just use Safe +
> untrap everything if it's the former; the latter does seem like a
> losing battle.

About half and half.

You have a good point which had never occurred to me. Safe with all untrapped
makes some sense. It might be nice to prevent print and file creation if
that is easy...

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.253.4194  <mike at perusion.com>

Few blame themselves until they have exhausted all other possibilities.
 -- anonymous