[ic] StartServers and RAM

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 08:21:57 UTC 2013

I'm experimenting with different values for StartServers and I've
discovered that most of the resident memory associated with IC
processes seems to be shared.  'top' shows each of my processes have
over 100M resident memory and yet doubling or tripling the
StartServers value barely changes the -/+ buffers/cache values in
'free'.  I'm also using MaxRequestsPerChild 100 and ChildLife 3600.

Has anyone found a good method/formula for maximizing StartServers and
preventing OOM?  How much RAM should you have for StartServers 150 for
example?

Is RAM the only consideration when tuning StartServers?

- Grant