[ic] IC5 -> IC6

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Apr 2 18:28:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, William Carr wrote:

> Is it possible to have a hybrid site where some of the pages are IC5 and
> some are IC6? What are the general things I'd have to do to make that
> happen?

Certainly.

You could have IC5 and IC6 integrate directly somehow, but a more general
solution would apply to any two or more web app technologies living on the
same virtual host (including PHP, Rails, or whatever): Use your web server
to carve up the URL space such that e.g. /ic5 URLs go to your Interchange
5 app and /ic6 URLs go to your Interchange 6 app.

In practice, Interchange 5 typically expects to own the whole URL space,
so it's easiest to map e.g. /ic6 to your new app and then default
everything else to be served as static files if they exist, or by
Interchange as a fallback.

For example, in Apache, you could do something like:

# Serve Interchange 6 URLs
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_URI} !-f
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_URI} !-l
RewriteRule ^/ic6(/.*) http://localhost:8443/$1 [P]
ProxyPassReverse /ic6/ http://www.your.domain/

# Let Apache handle URIs whose first directory component exists in the docroot
# This is a performance tweak to keep Interchange from handling *all* 404s
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/[^/]+)
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%1 -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]

# Everything else is handled by Interchange
RewriteRule ^/(.*) /cgi-bin/catalog/$1 [PT,L]

HTH,
Jon

--
Jon Jensen