[ic] Expired cards process ~34% of the time

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 13:56:22 UTC 2014

>> I wanted to share this (very short):
>>

>> https://www.braintreepayments.com/blog/credit-cards-arent-like-milk---theyre-still-good-after-expired
>>
>> This has me rethinking the way I handle expiration dates at checkout.
>

> Interesting. Thanks for passing that on, Grant.
>
> Going from memory of past experiences, I think most payment gateways reject
> a past expiration date immediately, so this wouldn't be a choice for the
> merchant unless they're using Braintree.
>
> Or have any of you found past expiration dates to be allowed by other
> payment gateways?
>
> Jon

34% might actually be really low.  If you consider the info in the
third paragraph of that article, the vast majority of expired cards in
the data set were likely submitted with the default expiration date
selected in the form, so most of the expired submissions that weren't
approved would have come from totally erroneous expiration dates.

- Grant