[ic] perl-5.16.3 safe for IC?

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Wed Jul 16 09:07:28 UTC 2014

On 07/15/2014 11:06 PM, Josh Lavin wrote:
> Quoting Grant (emailgrant at gmail.com):
>>>
>>> If you are already running 5.12.4, then you are probably fine.
>>>
>>> I have had major issues getting anything over 5.8.9 to work well with
>>> Interchange, when compiling from source:
>>>
>>> - `make test` fails, which isn't necessarily indicative of a problem,
>>>   but it sure hurts our image for newbies.
>>>
>>> - IC Jobs will not run. They make IC die with no errors or
>>>   warnings. strace'ing this shows a seg fault, which AFAIK
>>>   indicates a Perl problem.
>>>
>>> - Attempts to use $Sql{mytable} and $sth->execute calls results in
>>>   failure with error: Had to create DBI::_dbistate unexpectedly at (eval
>>>   438) line 1. (This is a problem with Safe.)
>>
>> That's weird.  Which distro?  Anybody else having these issues?
>
> I tried on CentOS and Ubuntu, both virtual servers and non-virtual.
> Tested perls built with perlbrew, but have also tested system-provided
> perls and hand-compiled perls. Anything > 5.8.9 had `make test` and Job
> issues. The $Sql issue I only noticed on 5.10.1 so far; did not test
> other versions yet.
>
> It is hard to believe that I have experienced these in isolation, so I
> would welcome other testers.

I got the following test failure with a 5.20 brew on Debian, but only on
the first run.

racke at argus:~/interchange/edge$ make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /home/racke/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.20.0/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl
server/unixmode.......ok 1
server/startup........ok 2
link/unixmode.........ok 3
server/inetmode.......ok 4
link/inetmode.........ok 5
server/control........not ok 6
6 tests run -- 1/6 failed.
Makefile:1497: recipe for target 'test_dynamic' failed
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 1

Regards
	Racke

--