[ic] Time for new hardware?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Sep 21 16:55:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Grant wrote:

>> I don't recommend it, though, because it means *every* bot and 404
>> request goes through Interchange rather than being served statically by
>> Apache, greatly increasing the load on Interchange and your server.
>
> With nginx you can easily catch requests that don't match your URL
> scheme and 'return 404;' without ever handing off to apache/interchange.

Sure, if you have a URL scheme then you can route only that to
Interchange.

Most people wanting the root URL space to be handled by Interchange are
going to have trouble knowing what is and isn't an app-handled URL, if it
includes any arbitrary product ID:

/super-mega-bike
/deluxe-special-computer

etc.

Either you have to make a huge list of all known URLs, or look them up in
the database which isn't generally any faster than letting it hit
Interchange.

If you have known URL prefixes for your app:

/shop/super-mega-bike
/admin/login

then it's no problem, but that's not what "no URL prefix" means to me.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation