[ic] 500 Died in server spawn error caused by regex in log_transaction

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Fri Sep 8 15:24:13 UTC 2017

> On Sep 8, 2017, at 7:52 AM, IC <ic at tvcables.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I don't know quite when this issue started but we started getting complaints about a 500 error on the checkout when placing an order, I've narrowed it down to a single regex line in log_transaction.
>
> The error in the log is:-
>
> /process.html Died in server spawn: Can't find Unicode property definition "Word" ...
>
> The regex that seems to cause the error is $out =~ s/[\r\n]+/\n/;
>
> For now I have change it to $out =~ s/\r\n+/\n/mg; which seems fine.
>
> I presume this is some kind of UTF8 error, any idea what causes it??

Hmm, that’s not even referencing unicode properties directly, so if that line change truly is what fixes the issues, then it sounds like there may be some issues with some of your internal perl modules, such as picking up a later version of Encode.pm with a different perl interpreter that is making other assumptions.

How many versions of perl do you have on your system?  You might be able to create a page that contains just `[env PERL5LIB]` and see if that matches up to your expectations of the version of Perl you’re using.

Best,

David
--
David Christensen