[ic] IC freezes

Mike Heins mike at heins.com
Mon Jul 9 12:17:19 UTC 2018

No. GDBM databases are tied to GDBM files, period.

ALL locale tables are loaded into memory when IC starts, no matter what
underlying DB structure they use. This doesn't mean that, if you update
them, that the rules for databases are changed.

There is also a MEMORY db type, but that has no advantage for Locale,
because, again, all locale tables are loaded into memory even if they are
SQL or GDBM.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 6:29 AM, René <interchange at hertell.com> wrote:

> On 09.07.2018 01:12, Mike Heins wrote:
>
>> As I said initially, I am sure this is a file locking issue. If you
>> update GDBM files, you are going to get locking problems while it is
>> happening. The locks stay on until the process ends, and this should happen
>> for any Interchange and Perl.
>>
>> You will continue to have some problems as long as you are updating GDBM
>> databases from the running process. Move the DB to SQL and the problems
>> should disappear.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Isn't the idea with the gdbm-tables that they get loaded into memory when
> IC is reloaded, and speeds up the translation-process?
>
> If the same can be fixed with an sql-database, then this would be really
> great!
>
> René

Just because something is obviously happening doesn't mean something
obvious is happening. --Larry Wall