[ic] Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Apr 6 14:40:24 UTC 2020

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Mike Heins wrote:

> Certainly could put
>
> if($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and defined $CGI::user and $CGI::user) {
>        $host = escape_chars($CGI::user);
>    }
>    elsif($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and $CGI::cookieuser) {
>        $host = $CGI::cookieuser;
>    }
>    elsif($CGI::cookiehost) {
>        $host = $CGI::cookiehost;
>    }
>
> and allow for any users where this would break them. Though I doubt there
> would be any.

I like that idea if anyone reports breakage, but since
"session_remote_user" isn't an existing pragma, someone who needs it
probably wouldn't notice it in our release notes and wouldn't use it, so
would get breakage anyway. 😊 Might as well just wait till that happens
and add it then, and avoid supporting a likely unused feature.

The only purpose of this behavior that I can think of is that users
authenticated with HTTP basic auth can move between IP addresses *and*
without a cookie, and not lose their session. Anyone know otherwise?

Maybe the biggest question is when the last time was that anyone used HTTP
basic auth for user authentication at all, much less depended on the
session sticking without cookies ...

Jon

--
Jon Jensen