[ic] Website down

Jon Jensen jon at endpointdev.com
Tue Feb 14 16:16:42 UTC 2023

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023, Peter Ajamian via interchange-users wrote:

> "This website www.interchangecommerce.org/i/dev is currently offline.

Thanks for the heads-up.

This has happened a couple of times in the past week, due to the Linux OOM
killer taking out MySQL and/or Interchange, but the cause seems to be
Mailman spinning out of control and eating up all RAM.

Until now we've never had any problem with Mailman or the rest of this, so
we never needed to monitor it. But maybe there's some new spam that
triggers a Mailman bug or something, so we will set up alerts for it.

On this note, I have to say I'm considering shutting down the Interchange
mailing lists entirely.

It has become really difficult to run a public mail server due to the
heavy amounts of spam, lots of list subscribers abandoning their free
email accounts that fill up and reject all messages or else clicking
"spam" instead of unsubscribing themselves, and this adds to existing
deliverability problems to the big email providers most people use: Yahoo,
Google, Apple, Microsoft.

The server's Postfix mail queue is always clogged with 50k+ deferred
messages because of receiving servers saying "temporarily deferred due to
unexpected volume or user complaints" etc. Sometimes we have to just purge
them all to start over.

Given how little real discussion happens here in the mailing lists in
recent years, it doesn't at all feel worth it, and we may just point
people to the existing options of IRC and GitHub issues.

I would be sad to see the lists shut down, but the work of dealing with
this has for years fallen only on me and Gert. It is not benefitting many
people anymore and isn't rewarding.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen