[Camps-users] Integration with related projects

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Wed Dec 10 00:54:39 UTC 2008

Davor Ocelic wrote:
[snip]
>> On another note, since Puppet and Capistrano are both written in Ruby, and
>> we've been contemplating rewriting Camps for version 4 anyway, I've been
>> thinking about whether it might make sense to write it in Ruby instead of
>> Perl. That would let us leverage any Puppet or Capistrano libraries that
>> would be useful, but it would also settle the question of which add-on
>> object system to use in Perl (standard blessed hashes? Moose? Coat?) since
>> Ruby's built-in object system would suffice and thus greatly reduce
>> external dependencies. (We'd see the same advantage with Python.)
>
> I've taken a look at Camps' Perl code, and also I've been working on
> Ruby projects for the past few months, and the 'niceness' of Ruby code
> compared to Perl is becoming more and more obvious to me.
> I've come to a point where I'm preferring Ruby over Perl any time.

I've done enough with Ruby, and studied the deep end of the object
system enough, to appreciate it.  Though I still prefer Perl.

In any case, I would not describe the current Perl code for the camp
system as an ideal demonstration of Perl.  Not be a longshot.  And
that's very much 80-90% my fault (if not more).  :(

- Ethan

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation