[Camps-users] Devzones on Nexenta

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Sat Dec 27 01:41:08 UTC 2008

The name "devzones" caught my attention:

http://www.osnews.com/story/20653/Devzones_Simple_Use-and-throw_Developer_Environments

Devzones actually sound really neat, but they are IMO misnamed. They're
zones, which are simply like VMs, but don't do much to actually facilitate
development.

In particular the instructions there describe setting up one devzone the
way you want, then cloning it. That has all the problems any "golden
master" does, as Andrew Shafer of the Puppet project describes so well:

http://stochasticresonance.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/semantics-matter-or-i-finally-get-it/

But I think if you took Nexenta + Devzones + Puppet + Camps you'd have
something pretty handy!

Jon

--
Jon Jensen