[Camps-users] PostgreSQL/git users

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Wed Feb 17 17:40:12 UTC 2010

Greetings campers,

This message is a heads-up to anyone who uses PostgreSQL as their camp
database system and who also runs their camps system directly out of a
git repository (i.e., you update the camps system periodically via
`git pull`).  I have just committed a change that removes the default
postgresql.conf symlink from the pgsql/ directory and also documents
the procedure for selecting the appropriate postgresql.conf in the new
INSTALL file.

This may cause your camps systems to appear broken when trying to
`refresh-camp --db`, or may cause a git conflict you have changed the
pgsql/postgresql.conf symlink to point elsewhere than the default.  In
the first case, you just need to symlink pgsql/postgresql.conf from
the appropriate version-specific postgresql.conf file in the pgsql
directory.  (The INSTALL file gives such an example.)

In the case of a git conflict, you will just need to `git checkout
pgsql/postgresql.conf` to revert to the original symlink version, then
`git pull`/choose the symlink as above.

If you are not running your camps installation out of git or are using
MySQL for your camps' databases, you should not be affected, but be
aware that future camps installations will need to have the
postgresql.conf chosen automatically; we are not assuming a default
PostgreSQL version any more.  Please let me know if there are any
questions or any additional issues come up.

Regards,

David
--
David Christensen