[Camps-users] New website is live

Brian J. Miller brian at endpoint.com
Tue Jul 12 19:24:03 UTC 2011

Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Brian J. Miller wrote:
>
>>> Great news, but DevCamps needs to reconsider their site design. The
>>> greenish font is unreadable on the reddish background.
>> As a color deficient user I'd give that a giant +1, I checked out the
>> site over the weekend and the previous color while hard to read was at
>> least noticeable, with the current red/green scheme I can't tell that
>> there are links at all.
>
> I am red/green colorblind and had a hard time reading the previous blue
> color (which only you & Ben & Steph saw, Brian).

Just to be clear I can *read* the green just fine but the text is not
differentiated as anything other than more text (so I wouldn't notice
that they are links that I should potentially traverse).

The blue I considered not that readable but at least I could tell they
were links.

> I can read the current green fine but don't love it.
>
> Marko suggested a lighter green with a drop shadow, as in the middle of
> this screenshot:
>
> http://www.devcamps.org/tmp/devcamp-example.png
>
> What do you all think of that?

The drop shadow is a nice addition, though on text that small I'm not
sure I'd notice it as a link vs. not a link. Making the text lighter
probably made the issue worse rather than better. I'm pretty far on the
deficient scale :-), so maybe what I would expect (read: need) is beyond
what the common user does. You would have to go to a significantly
darker shade of green before the differentiation between plain text and
links would show up for me. Probably just a problem with starting with
that shade of red (or any red really).

--
Brian J. Miller
End Point Corp.