[docs] Re: [interchange-core] Server hosting future ...

Mike Heins docs@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 8 20:51:01 2002

Quoting Jonathan Clark (jonc@webmaint.com):
> > > as well, and

> > > to look ok.
> > >
> > > Can we see your new colors in action somewhere? I too thought the colors
> > > could be a little perkier.
> >
> > Its at: http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic2/index
>
> I think things are pretty straight there now. I have put in the news body on
> the index page (I think it was me that removed it) and tweaked a few pages
> (index/download/developer) to update the version, add the nightly build,
> remove red hat consulting, update the irc reference etc.
>
> I have edited the variable (css) and content (1 new news item) tables and
> added an additional level to the documents menu tree. I made a few small
> changes to a few meta settings, but nothing I couldn't do again easily.
>
> I also altered a few of the components used on the leftside, I remember
> altering search-box-small so that it didn't push the leftside over too far.
> I think I made the odd tweakette to the faq component as well.
>
> If this installation becomes the new IDR it will need the docs loading into
> the database. If the plan is to build a fresh one, I am happy to help with
> getting things across..

I presume we will use the current catalog files...I can work on the docs.
I will over the next day or two convert the current "news" file into
a forum, with each news item being a thread starter.

I think it is time to restructure the docs. I really, really, don't like
the way it is done, because every time the doc changes (inserting a
paragraph or removing one) the URL to the item changes. I don't quite
know how to solve that problem, and don't quite know how others have solved
it in the past. Maybe it can't be easily solved with the granularity we
have.

My suspicion is that redoing the docs is beyond the part-time efforts
of anyone. There are so many of them and in such different states of repair
it would be a full-time job for 3 months to whip them into shape. No one
here has that kind of time, I suspect.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>