[docs] Re: [interchange-core] Server hosting future ...

Jon Jensen docs@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 9 10:46:00 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Mike Heins wrote:

> I think it is time to restructure the docs. I really, really, don't like
> the way it is done, because every time the doc changes (inserting a
> paragraph or removing one) the URL to the item changes. I don't quite
> know how to solve that problem, and don't quite know how others have solved
> it in the past. Maybe it can't be easily solved with the granularity we
> have.

If we could assign a unique identifier to each section, like a hash key,
that could remain constant despite section reorganization, or if a section
is removed altogether, the header and a link to a relevant area could
remain.

However, it would take some work to hack that into SDF.

> My suspicion is that redoing the docs is beyond the part-time efforts of
> anyone. There are so many of them and in such different states of repair
> it would be a full-time job for 3 months to whip them into shape. No one
> here has that kind of time, I suspect.

I agree. It would be a serious amount of work to make any kind of impact
other than incremental improvements and fixing obvious errors.

Jon