[interchange-biz] Re:3. Re: Interchange-friendly ISP, workable with shared SSL -- interchange-biz digest, Vol 1 #29 - 3 msgs

David Zhang - msihosting dzhang@msihosting.com
Sun Dec 22 14:59:01 2002

This continues my reply to Jonathon's comment on Interchange-friendly ISP,
the shared SSL certificate

 > Also that shared SSL certificates are not supported. See
 > http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=icfaq04.01

Again, let me start with fact -- a live interchange shopping cart using
shared SSL certificate of our server. Every one is invited to visit the
following web site

http://mtspring.com

This web site was build with cpanel installed interchange, using foundation
template. The build version was 4.4, and now running under version 4.93
without change even just one character -- the user worry-free upgrade.

Please note:  the domain name is "mtspring.com", but it uses shared SSL
certificate of our server https://msihosting.com. No matter how it's
switched between secured and non-secured servers, the shopping cart is not
dropped.

So, we are able to provide customers not just cpanel installed stable
interchange with worry-free upgrade, but also make it work with shared SSL.

It's true that using seperated domains for secure and non-secured servers
makes programming complicated. But, it's not something that can't be
achieved. osCommerce, which is also offered in our server with one click
installation,  has no problem at all when using shared SSL.

I am of the opinion, interchange should not become a money generating
machine of SSL certificate issuing companies. I believe the requirement of a
private SSL certificate for each interchange shopping cart conflits with the
original design purpose of interchange for serving multiple carts each has
its own domain name. One company may have multiple domains, runs multiple
carts. Why should the company certiffys itself again, again and again?
What's the point to make interchange capable of serving multiple carts?

David
msihosting.com