[interchange-i18n] Help, please

Francisco Sánchez lists at e-civitas.com
Sun Feb 10 20:46:01 UTC 2002

Hi

No problem.  I am currently translating a shop into Spanish, and shortly
will do it into Italian and French, with Portuguese and German in a longer
term.

I have been evaluating the possible different methods, and creating a
locale.cfg for each language, as suggested by Michel seems to be the most
effective.  Though you can create different html sets for each locale, I
don't think it is really necessary, unless you really want to change the
design of the shop to be different for each audience.

What you might indeed use is the ImageDir in case you want to create a
different set of images for each language.

For the ImageDir, create a line like this in locale.txt:

ImageDir  /shop/images/de/ /shop/images/fr/ /shop/images/es/
/shop/images/it/ /shop/images/pt/

Or course you should have defined each locale at the beginning of the file:

code en_US de_DE fr_FR es_ES it_IT pt_PT

For the PageDir, in case you decide to use it, line I added was:

PageDir  de fr es it pt

Being de fr es it and pt directories created within the shop directory
(/var/lib/interchange/catalogs/shop/) where a copy of the default html set
would be placed.

For the tags to be used, in templates you must use [msg]word to be
translated[/msg] and [L]word to be translated[/L] in html pages.  When you
create tha locale.cfg for each locale (es_ES.cfg, fr_FR.cfg, etc...), an
entry like this would have to appear in each locale file to have the pages
translated when using the correct locale:

Locale es_ES <<EOF
{

"Word to be translated",
"Palabra traducida",
}
EOF
This would make the effect of showing (if you use es_ES locale) "Palabra
traducida" instead of "Word to be translated" in every occurrence where
"Word to be translated" shows normally.  And so on....

I am busy now with the pages, templates and components translations into
Spanish, but when I finish, will face a new problem: how to set the item
description for each locale?  Well, when I get there, I will see the options
available...

One final idea:  it would be nice for us to exchange translations into
different languages son that any of us who wants to set up a multilingual
shop will not have to face all the translating work.  When I finish the
Spanish es_ES.cfg, anyone interested may request it.  If anyone has fr_FR,
it_IT, pt_PT or de_DE, shring them would be a nice thing.

Best regards,

Francisco