[interchange-i18n] french traslation of interchange and foundation

Michel Matte michel.matte at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 6 22:35:39 UTC 2003

  Hi Ridha:

ridha ridha wrote:

>hello
>
>i am a new user of interchange actually i installed
>interchange 4.9 mysql on freebsd 4.8.
>i am looking for some helps on how to set more than
>one language for user interface and for the admin too.
>
>i read alot about internationalisation documents and
>in this mailing list but i get confused, because there
>many suggestions so i dont know what/where/when to use
>[L] or [LC] or [scratchlocal] ....etc, tags. so i am
>looking for something that could be easy to understand
>and it will be step by step. what i would like to know
>are :
>1- witch files and text should i translate
>2- how to add languages to the catalog.cfg
>3- how to add the language choice for the costomers.
>
>i can collaborate in the french translation and share
>it with anyone need the french translation.
>
>best regards
>Ridha
>
>the link for the internationalization mailing list is
>inactif
>http://localhost.localdomain/pipermail/interchange-i18n/

There are a number of areas where you have to make changes.  I will try
to list them by priority.

1- The demo store. This is the model for your storefront.
1.1- Run /usr/lib/interchange/bin/localize   -l fr_FR <demo-page to
translate i.e. account.html>   > <your-work-file>
This extracts all text with [L] tags to translate.
Translate those tags and incoporate in a file indentified in catalog.cfg
by the directive Locale fr_FR <filename> or
Locale fr_FR  followed by here document in catalog.cfg containing the
translations.
You can also translate directly in the html page with the [LC] tag but
this is slower to execute.
In templates you have to use [loc] tags or the newer [msg] tags to
reference the text to translate in the same way as the [L] tags.

1.2 - Translate the buttons using a graphics editor.  I have graphics
for these and will send them on request.

In Foundation Demo Menu:
home.gif        translate to    ACCUEIL
login.gif                             CONNEXION
logout.gif                            DECONNEXION
cart.gif                               LISTE D'ACHATS
Checkout.gif                       REGLER LES ACHATS
service.gif -----(no need to translate)
about.gif                          A PROPOS

Could you add the following for me in French & English:
payment.gif                      PAYMENT
paymentf.gif                        PAIEMENT

The following buttons are also required inside the functions:

buynow.gif --------translate to      ACHETER
Checkout_button.gif                 REGLER LES ACHATS
Download.png                          TELECHARGER!
go.gif                                        RECHERCHER
logo.gif                                    Remplacer ce graphisme par
votre logo
placeorder.gif                        Passer la commande
poweredby.gif                        ACTIONNE PAR
recalculate_button.gif            Recalculer
savecart.gif                            Sauvegarder cette liste
saverecur.gif                          Sauvegarder cette commande

1.3 - Translate the products in the database. You need to add the
translation in the product records or else use different products for
different languages.

1.4 - Translate the error messages in the same way as the html pages:

> Stefan Hornburg Racke interchange-i18n at interchange.redhat.com
> <mailto:interchange-i18n%40interchange.redhat.com>
> Tue Apr 30 01:58:01 2002

>       error-messages..
>       <http://icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-i18n/2002-April/000209.html>
>       <http://icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-i18n/2002-April/000212.html>
>       <http://icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-i18n/2002-April/date.html#211>
>       [ thread ]
>       <http://icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-i18n/2002-April/thread.html#211>
>       [ subject ]
>       <http://icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-i18n/2002-April/subject.html#211>
>       [ author ]
>       <http://icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-i18n/2002-April/author.html#211>

>"Rene Hertell" <rene at hertell.com <mailto:rene at hertell.com>> writes:
>
>> Racke,
>>
>> Is there any working way in putting [l]-tags in the lib/Vend/UserDB.pm
>> error-messages, like:
>>
>>  my $stock_error = ::errmsg("[L]Invalid user name or password.[/L]");?
>
>The Vend::Util::errmsg function returns the translated string if you
>provide it in the locale database.
>
>Ciao
>        Racke

1.5 Do the same for the admin interface.  These are the pages used to
manage the store.

Once you have translated the above as needed,   you can access the store
from your html pages
 with the following tags in place of the links:

[page process/locale/fr_FR/page/catalog]  which is equivalent to [page
catalog]. The locale change is persistent.

Note the correct address for i18n list is
http://icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-i18n

Other reference:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/
http://interchangeville.com/forum/index.php