[ic] Administrators by Affiliate

Casey R. Tweten crt@kiski.net
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:31:11 -0400 (EDT)

Today around 12:53am, Strider Centaur hammered out this masterpiece:

:     Wouldn't it just be allot easier to set them each up there own catalog,
: that way they all get a separate admin, cant affect changes on each other, and
: then link them at the top level so that it appears as one massive catalog?
: All this is easily done with interchange.

If what you're talking about is really a massive catalog and not just an index
of catalogs then that's one step closer.

A better example.

Affiliates:
Target
K-Mart
Aims

Each of them can change their merchandise but not the site.

If: Each of them have a catalog
    AND
    it's transparent to the user who just see's one catalog the whole time
    THEN
    that's exactly what I want.

:     The hard part would be the limiting them so they cant change the layout,
: the admin tool only has one level of security from what I can tell and that
: allows them to edit the html pages.  I may be wrong in this and would love to
: know if I am.

I thought this would be the easy part.  Create an administrator with limited
permissions and keep the super user to myself.

: "Casey R. Tweten" wrote:
:
: > I will have many affiliates using my site.
: >
: > <hope>
: > I'd like to have one administrator for every affiliate.
: > That administrator will only be able to dable in his own stuff.
: >
: > Example:
: > Affiliate sells nails.
: >
: > The affiliate will only be able to adminisstrate things dealing with his nails
: > like:
: > * Get reports by his business
: > * Change prices/features/sales for his nails
: > * Change postal prices ( Not that important, really )
: >
: > What he can't do is:
: > * Change the look of the site
: > * Anything that doesn't directly deal with his products sales
: > </hope>
: >
: > It isn't obvious to me how to proceed other than hacking the Interchange core,
: > which I don't want to do unless really necissary.
: >
: > --
: > print(join(' ', qw(Casey R. Tweten)));my $sig={mail=>'crt@kiski.net',site=>
: > 'http://home.kiski.net/~crt'};print "\n",'.'x(length($sig->{site})+6),"\n";
: > print map{$_.': '.$sig->{$_}."\n"}sort{$sig->{$a}cmp$sig->{$b}}keys%{$sig};
: > my $VERSION = '0.01'; #'patched' by Jerrad Pierce <belg4mit at MIT dot EDU>
: >
: > Interchange-users mailing list
: > Interchange-users@www.minivend.com
:
: --
: Strider Centaur
: HTTP://www.Scifi-Fantasy.com
:
:    " It is my observation that unless you really understand the issues, you are
: hardly in a position to criticize.   Nearly all Linux users have used Windows,
: but very few Windows users have used Linux. " -- Me
:
:
:
: